Well folks, after six years of school and a year of residency, I have been gifted some delightful time off!! Five weeks to be exact :) I’ve got some wonderful things planned for the next couple weeks, but already this past week or so has been AWESOME.
It started with moving which kind of SUCKS. Trev and I have now lived in four places in our almost five years together. With each move we realize how much more stuff we have amassed….
But with the moving came visits from Trevor’s parents, my dad and his wife, and then my mom. And that means lots of adventures in La Crosse, because I can’t pass up an opportunity to show off this amazing town.
Here is a list of my favorite (ALL) the things we have done since last Saturday–a guide for those of you who live in La Crosse and don’t make the most of it :) as well as an attempt to allure those of you who DON’T live here to come visit us!!
1) Four Sisters. First of all, YUM. Second of all–grilled cheese dippers. Did I say YUM yet?? We took the in-laws here and had an amazing time. I love this restaurant, and the food is to die for. I had a crab stuffed portobello mushroom and it was perhaps the most delicious meal I’ve ever had. They also had live music while we were there (which was basically just a guy with a guitar and a mic). I really enjoyed his folksy style, but I can’t say the same for the rest of my group (plus he was SO LOUD). My only complaint with Four Sisters is that our service is ALWAYS crummy. The only thing that stops me from making this a regular trip.
2) Pearl Street Ice Cream. We actually did this twice in the last couple weeks :) It’s kind of addictive…cappuccino oreo is my flavor of choice!
3) Polito’s Pizza–best place for a slice here in town. I had chicken bacon ranch and Trev let me try some of his steak and fries pizza. Also their garlic bites…yes please! Reminds me of Paul Revere’s and our time back on 31st street in DSM!
4) Farmer’s Market!! Took my mom and had my first trip at the Friday afternoon farmer’s market. We got handmade soap and lotion from a sweet lady from MN, and I got some delicious little tomatoes from a local organic farm. Also paid a visit to the people who bring me veggies every week (delivery comes today!!). They are seriously the sweetest. I just love farmer’s markets SO MUCH….all the fresh flowers and vegetables and sweet local people sharing their work with us!!
5) SHOPPING. but not the kind you think :) My mom and I went all over town looking at what most people would consider junk :) We went to the Treehouse, Home Goods, Apefish & Co., Sequels Resale Shop, and Painted Porch. We also stopped by the Board Store. If you are a local and you need furniture, this is the place to go! They have the nicest stuff, the biggest selection, and the sweetest people. Can’t wait to get mine soon!!
6) Sushi Pirate!! Again, took my mom because the man doesn’t like sushi…but seriously, this place is fun (with rolls named Barbossa, On Stranger Tides and Blackbeard) and the sushi is really really good!
7) Old Crow. We actually did this one twice in the last week too…their burgers and fries are both incredible. The first time we went last week, we had their pretzel sticks and I thought I had died and gone to heaven. They were partly why I wanted to go back so badly…and the second time we went they were OUT. Very disappointing. But then I had the Ham and Havarti sandwich on a pretzel roll and it kind of made up for not having pretzel sticks. Just kind of.
8) Cabin Coffee. I don’t get to go to cabin coffee a lot because it’s in the middle of downtown and they have strange hours, but they have really good coffee drinks. I got one with “highly caffeinated white coffee” which is something I didn’t know existed but am very glad that it does!!
9) The Riv. Ever since my first time in La Crosse, I’ve wanted to check out the Rivoli. it’s a cute old theater and pizzeria that shows second run movies at a very low price. Every time we’ve thought about going, the movies or times just didn’t work out. Finally on Sunday, we were able to catch a showing of Avengers. The place was so much better than we expected. It’s huge and is seriously a full service restaurant. We had a great time, enjoyed the movie, and the pizza was better than we expected! We will definitely be going back :)
Is that all? Does it seem crazy that there are STILL lots of things in La Crosse that I hope to do in my next few weeks off?? Here’s to more adventures :)